Last night on my way home from work I stopped at the grocery store. From there I was struggling back down the hill with my heavy bags, wondering how easy it is to dislocate a shoulder, and whether I should figure out a better way to carry the heaviest bag, when I looked up.
In front of me was a huge construction site, basically a big hole in the ground with cranes in it. Beyond that was another construction site, the building standing, but with no filling, no walls, just concrete and ropes of steel holding the whole structure together. Beyond that was the spire of one of the many churches in our neighbourhood. (All Souls's I think - click here for an image of it - http://www.travelphotobase.com/f/DC16/DCS59.HTM) It was a classic DC scene - actually, probaby a classic city scene, but what made me stare was the frozen moment of light on all these structures.
The hole in front of me, and the cranes in it, were in shadow, and their ugliness hidden in the passed light of dusk. The almost-building behind it was shining, the leftover sunlight from the day was reflecting off all the metal in the structure, it made the whole building into a crosshatch of bright light and dark holes. The church spire was swathed in a low hanging cloud, stretched out like a duvet. The top of the cloud was white, the center was grey and stormy and the bottom of the cloud, the part that was snuggled around the spire was red and orange and yellow and all the colours in between.
I didn't think about my groceries again till I got home.
No comments:
Post a Comment