Wednesday, March 14, 2007

rain, sunburns and the Orange river

Oleo just came dashing in, disgusted that the sky is once again promising to fall on her head. It has been thundering and lightning all day and the humidity is gross. You could say that a monkey is getting married cos it is raining at last, but the sun is till shining through the drops. The humidty after the rain is always worse because the water evaporates off the hot concrete.

K went to a workshop yesterday and didn't know it was outdoors. As a result he spent most of the day in a borrowed hat and trying to hide his crispy forearms under his shirt, behind his back and any other place that could give him some relief. His face is brown as a farmer's but his arms are nothing short of two large lobsters. Sleeping next to him last night was like sleeping next to a radiator. I on the other hand am looking more like my natural colour. Just from swimming and walking around I have got a healthy hue back.

We will be canoeing down the Orange river next week, we'll be going with the International Youth Award students. Four adults, fifty teens - promises to be fun. I made the lead teacher promise to let me be in the same canoe as K and his sunburn. I am feeling more than a little apprehensive as I have never even managed to make a kayak go backwards, let alone forwards over rapids! The advantage of having fifty kids with you is that I won't have to wash a single dish! I am looking forward to sitting at a fire, watching the glow of the embers, while the unending stars are above us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there K & N and kitties!
You sound like you are having the BEST time. Although i have to question this supposed "humidity" in the desert there... Keep enjoying everything! love D & A in sunny mexico

Anonymous said...

Hi, K, N & kitties,
Everything sounds so grand!! I think you are on the Orange River as I'm writing this, so will look forward to your report. Sympathies to K with his sunburn - been there, done that!!!
Love and roses from snowy MD, G squared

Anonymous said...

Hi, K, N & kitties,
Everything sounds so grand!! I think you are on the Orange River as I'm writing this, so will look forward to your report. Sympathies to K with his sunburn - been there, done that!!!
Love and roses from snowy MD, G squared