Sunday, March 23, 2008

Whoah!!



So this morning when I was shaking out our rugs on the back steps, I heard a Toktok. When I craned my neck around the back of the house there was the biggest woodpecker I have ever seen. I wasn't even sure if I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. His body was big and he had the hugest fire-engine red mohawk. My first thought was that it was the Ivory billed and I had made a wonderful scientific discovery, but immediately dismissed it. I called K out and he said it was the pilleated. Which did not reduce my wonder at all. SO big! He is the size of a crow. Oh, also, he is a she.

The other photo is of a little downy munching on our suet. It is funny to watch the downy's get to the suet. They land on the crook and then sort of slide down the pole till they hit the suet box, on which they sort of hop into position. We are going to take pity on them on hang a new suet in the tree.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Great news about the job. I don't like dogs and I would take Freddy home - he's so cute.
Also I have been keeping track of your brid watching and, whilst at my parents, I thought of you as we watched a little red-breasted robin splashing around in the bird bath!