Our toilet has not been working. For three days now a chap has been trying to fix it. On the first day he came in with a plastic bag of things, set the bag down on the floor, put one hand on his hip and scratched his head while gazing dolefully into our cistern. He did this for about ten minutes. The he carefully laid out all the items in the bag on the floor. These were mostly tools and bits of plastic usually associated with the ball cock that makes the cistern refill. Then he put his one hand on his hip and gazed dolefully at his equipment. I was becoming concerned at this point that I might be more qualified to fix my cistern than he was. Eventually he went to work.
Within minutes he came back and asked me if we had a hammer. I gave it to him but was puzzled as to what he planned to do with it. Thankfully he just added it artfully to the items laid on the floor. Then he asked me for a spanner - a 24 or a 23. We did not have that and so he went to fetch it.
45 minutes later he returned with the spanner and after, yes, some hip, scratch and doleful gazing he returned to work. At the strike of 12 o'clock (lunchtime) he came and declared it fixed! I said great and flushed. Something plastic flew up into the air and water fountained out of the hole left behind. He scratched his head and said he would come back tomorrow.
Tomorrow held much the same hilarity except the water gushed out of the bottom of the cistern. And on day three the same. On day three he brought reinforcements. First one other person came and scratched their head and then a third. I am now truly impressed by my toilet. It must be so complex and cunning to still not be working. Tomorrow is Sunday but I look forward to what Monday brings for us and the plumber.
Thank goodness we have a second loo in the house or this would not be amusing in the least.
No comments:
Post a Comment