When I was young my maternal grandmother had a maid who always wore a cloth over her face. She wore it to cover the lower part of her face but her eyes were always kind above it. The cloth made it very hard to understand what she said and her voice sounded raspy, as if she had been smoking since she was as small as I was then.
Her name was Cina and one day I got up enough courage to ask Granny Hazel why Cina wore the cloth. The tale went like this. When Cina was young she was incredibly beautiful with a rosebud mouth and a small pert nose. She had many suitors but eventually she started going with just one very handsome young man. They were well matched and she cared a great deal for him but of course there was a fly in the ointment. Her beau was incredibly jealous of Cina and suspicious of any man who had contact with Cina. One day they went to a braai of a mutual friend and Cina's boyfriend saw her flirting with another friend of theirs. Cina's boyfriend flew into a rage and took up the woodchopper sitting next to the braai. He first chopped at the flirty friend and then swung the chopper and sliced off the front of Cina's face.
Cina tried various kinds of surgery to reconstruct her face but was left with terrible disfigurement and much scarring.
I was utterly horrified at this story and have thought often of it, the details remained very clear in my mind as I grew up. It is only now though that I have examined the tale and thought that it has the resonance of a tale rather than a true story. Do people truly have rosebud mouths combined with pert noses? Is it possible to cleave a persons nose from their face with a woodchopper? My Grandmother always told very good stories and now she is gone I am left to wonder forever if this is just a story, or true and tragic.
No comments:
Post a Comment