Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Save the Seals

Just feeling the need to do my bit - the annual culling of seals is about to happen in Namibia. In general, I support the concept of culling, but in this case it is just the kind of stuff to give me nightmares where I wake up needing to be held. The preferred method of culling the younger seals is to club them over the head and then stab them through the heart. This puts me so much in mind of the quote: life is nasty, brutish and short. In this case the death of the seals is nasty and brutish, but not short. Doing something about this is as easy as opening your email. have a look at these sites for some really constructive information and actions to take.

http://www.seashepherd.org/seals/seals_around_the_world_south_africa_latest_news.html
http://www.oipa.org/campagne/seals_namibia.htm

The second site has a petition to sign. I never know whether petitions work, but it makes me feel better to make my mark.

Be warned, the sites are pretty graphic, and probably not something you should look at, at work, or without a tissue box nearby.

As Francois Hugo says on his site: For the seals
N

No comments: