Tuesday, April 29, 2008

troubles and KitKat

There is a new addition to my daily bus riders. She does not appear to know the usual crowd who entertain me so while I try to read every morning. Instead, she spends the entire ride, (a good 40 mins) telling someone on the other end of her cell phone the latest in her custody battle, car troubles, man troubles, kid troubles and something gross and unrepeatable about her "health". I read a piece today on BBC news where an Austrian Mayor is banning use of cell phones on public transport. I actually let out a cheer when I read this. It could be like the no smoking ban which is travelling around the world successfully, or it could end up like the no-talking-on-your-cell-while-driving law which seems to be scarce and unenforced in spite of repeated cheering on my part. Either way, I'd like the lady-with-many-troubles to ride a different bus, or run out of minutes, or get laryngitis troubles.

In addition to this horror, I bought and ate most of a KitKat today. On the second stick I realised there was what I call the Hershey's aftertaste. It is the same aftertaste you get from splenda or other sweeteners. I ate the third stick just in case, but that just made me check the wrapper. Apparently KitKat is made by Hershey's here. It just isn't right. Why couldn't some other American chocolate company get on board? Oh I know... stop being such a chocolate snob Natasha. SIGH.

No comments: