Sunday, June 08, 2008

Water, water everywhere

Summer has exploded upon the valley of c'ville. I thought that growing up in Namibia would prepare me for any heat that the good earth could deliver. Then I experienced DC and found that I was wrong. THEN I thought that DC had prepared me. I got up yesterday at 5am. This should be an hour of chill, of cold feet on the kitchen floor and goosebumps. Yesterday I walked outside into a fog of heat and wet. It was so gross.

In fact gross pretty much describes the experience of these few summer days completely. I feel gross. When I lay on the couch yesterday and the sweat instead of evaporating was just dripping I truly felt like I was melting. It did occur to me hope that if I started melting, maybe the fat would melt first and I could find aircon before I started to lost muscle tissue. This was when I was rescued by a dear friend who offered me her home and her aircon. She has it all over her house, it's wonderful.

When I got home last night I went upstairs to the office and turned on our teenytiny aircon that we have up there. Then I made a little nest directly under it, and the cats and I passed a night of sweatlessness. I am somewhat concerned about anyone who comes to visit for a weekend, they will have to bring their own fans.

1 comment:

kirstra said...

Hmmm. This does not bode well for my promised summer visit. :) But really, I feel your pain. I have been huddled in my little apartment with all the windows and curtains closed trying to move as little as possible...