Monday, November 01, 2010

Baridi

Priscilla has a horror for all things cold. I have told you before of how she is always inspecting Emma and telling me how she needs socks and shoes and a jacket and hat, indoors. Well we got socks and she now wears either those or shoes and generally a jersey since it has been chilly in the mornings.

I have now introduced a whole new "crazy Americans" or possibly "bad parent" for her. Emma is getting new teeth, the next two on the bottom are coming through and we are in full combat pain mode. One of our most effective tools are the frozen chew toys. I took one out of the freezer and gave it to Emma. Priscilla watched me closely, then grabbed the toy and felt it. She gave exclamations of horror; "Baridi! Baridi!" Baridi is the Swahili word for cold. I pantomimed that it helped with the teeth but she just kept telling me, repeatedly, how cold it was. I decided to exit stage right and took Emma with me, chewing on her icy toy. Leaving Priscilla to shake her head in dismay.

No comments: