Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ask yourself: are you predator, or prey?

It's 11:19, 41 minutes from midnight. My legs are shaking, I have the beginnings of an adreneline headache and I feel like my whole body is twitching.

Just 10 minutes ago, Emma stirred in her bed, then woke fully and cried for me. I got up to go to her and as I did there was a really loud thumpety thump on the roof. It sounded like something really heavy landing and then running across the roof to the other side of the house. I went in to Emma, picked her up and shushed her, then lay her down. During this time there were a few quieter thuds as whatever it was moved back to our side of the roof.

It's full moon so I went to the partially closed curtain to look out at the landscape washed into pale shadows. My heart stopped. Something moved underneath the window. I thought at first it was the monkey that has been plaguing us. Then it slunk under the window ledge, from one window to the other. A full grown leopard! Shoulders tall as the window sill, heavy, muscled, soft and quiet. It's head perfectly balanced between it's shoulders and it's long tail hanging loose and straight behind. I quickly stepped behind the closed curtain and the leopard stood up on the sill and peered and snuffed at the crack in the closed window.

For a heartbeat we stood as we were, with just window panes and curtains between us. Then it stepped down and moved back under the window and around the corner. I dashed next door to our room, whisper-yelled to K to get in the room with me. He woke in a panic and came in with me. I felt the need to close and lock the door and then explained to him what I had seen. He appeared disbelieving but claimed to believe me. We stood for a while at the window, looking out, exclaiming in hushed tones at one another when suddenly I saw the unmistakable white butt of the monkey. It was up the pathway from the house, having just descended from the water tower. It froze, looking over its shoulder at the house. We froze too.

We could see the shadow of the roof on the ground, and it undulated as something slipped noiselessly along it. Then the gutter gave it away with a groan and the monkey sped up the pathway and into the bush. The leopard ran along the rest of the house, lept off the roof and onto the water tank, then down in a one-two-three motion and was off up the path as fast as a slip of the tongue.

Oh! Another thud on the roof as I type! We are both locked into Emma's bedroom, thankfully there is another bed in here. K has managed to fall back to sleep and I can hear his breathing in tandem with Emma's coming from her crib but I do not think I will be able to sleep. I will be lying waiting for tell-tale creaks and thumps from above.

No comments: