Pretty much every year since I went to university many eons ago I have planted herbs. A few times I have even gone as far as to plant veggies. Every year I have fought mould, insects, rust, squirrels and even some unidentifiable things and lost to them. The best I have done is one year when we went away and the basil sprung from a seedling to a bush in the month I was gone. As soon as I got back it died. The second best I have done was after a few hundred dollars spent we got two cherry tomatoes and a handful of beans. They were the best tasting beans and tomatoes I have ever had. This year I am starting small. Just four pots, basil, sage and rosemary, each with its companion marigolds. I'll keep you updated on the progress or lack thereof. Maybe if they are still alive in a few weeks I'll add mint and thyme.
Saturday, May 24, 2008
The blackened Thumb: A tale of woe
Pretty much every year since I went to university many eons ago I have planted herbs. A few times I have even gone as far as to plant veggies. Every year I have fought mould, insects, rust, squirrels and even some unidentifiable things and lost to them. The best I have done is one year when we went away and the basil sprung from a seedling to a bush in the month I was gone. As soon as I got back it died. The second best I have done was after a few hundred dollars spent we got two cherry tomatoes and a handful of beans. They were the best tasting beans and tomatoes I have ever had. This year I am starting small. Just four pots, basil, sage and rosemary, each with its companion marigolds. I'll keep you updated on the progress or lack thereof. Maybe if they are still alive in a few weeks I'll add mint and thyme.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That is the weirdest thing. I never have any luck with herbs either, and one of my other friends says the same thing as well. I can't figure out how aunts and random neighbours always end up with herbs growing like wild in their yards. My aunt's explanation is "You just throw the seeds there and chuck some water and it grows." ??? That never worked for me! I guess their thumbs are greener than mine...
Post a Comment