Friday, May 30, 2008

husbandless

Most of you will by now know that K is in South Africa. He left last week and will be touring SA and Mozambique for four weeks and then Namibia for another four. Then he comes back stateside and instead of coming home he goes straight to Tennessee for a conference. This makes it NINE WEEKS that I will be husbandless. I am through one week and so far it has been ok.

I go to bed at 9 most nights. I have found that there are a number of things that husbands do that are useful. They can put things away high up. They can clean on top of the fridge. They can make excellent pizza that I can never hope to copy. They are warm in the bed when it is chilly. They can carry out the trash to the curb. This last is particularly important. It took me some time, entertaining the neighbours across from us I am sure, grunting as I first tried to carry and then rolled it along my lawn. The real trick is not letting it touch your clothes and leave nasty, sticky residue behind. The thing that husbands are most useful for are hugs, and that is something that it is hard to not have in your life. Big arms, warm and strong and a chest to hide in.

No comments: