Recently we received a parcel from Emma's Great Grandma. It was two very cute little dresses, originally wrapped in pink tissue paper. When K picked it up from the Post Office he was told the following little story and then charged a fee for the package.
When international packages come in, apparently Customs is allowed to charge an import duty. To deduce the amount that this duty should be, a customs official opens the package in front of a postal employee, unwraps any gifts and assigns value to the gifts. Then they charge you some percentage of that value. Yes... that's right... they OPEN the package and UNWRAP the gifts. All sanctioned by LAW. I love this country, where even postal theft is governed.
I wonder, do they read the birthday card too? I am now tempted to have someone send me ribbed condoms and body chocolate and write salacious things in the card. Would that be 50 shillings? Or would that be free?
No comments:
Post a Comment