When you have read all the books written by a favourite author you can only read them again. But when you started reading their books as a teen and have been reading them for 15 years it's possible there are books you haven't read, or books you have forgotten that you read. Sometimes you think you discover one of these, dusty on your mother's bookshelf. There is an excitement at the familar grouping of letters in the author's name, coupled with the unfamiliar grouping of letters in the title. Perhaps you savour the book, not opening it for a few days, just letting your eye get used to the cover. Finally you settle down, snuggle up and open it. But oh! The terrible suspicion that creeps upon you by page 23. "Don't I know this character?" By page 100; "I do know this plot" by page 212, I recall the ending. You have two choices. Accept that you have read it and enjoy the prose once more, or set it down, unfinished but remembered.
I recently found what I thought had to be one of these. On a bookshelf in the dining hall at Mpala. A graveyard of books where "good" books are quickly snapped up and others grow ever dustier and infested by spiders, mice and other scurrying creatures.
Surely, surely, I have read all Elizabeth George's novels? Page 23 came and went, followed by page 100. Now I am in the deliscious excitement of letting her pull me towards the great reveal at the end, all the while amusing me, educating me and entertaining me. What a pleasure her words are, and how delightful to find new aspects to Tommy Lynley's character.
So now, having put my own words down and shared my find, I will return to the soft pages of my paperback and Ms. George's enlightening diction.
No comments:
Post a Comment