Thursday, August 12, 2010

airports, airplanes and country of my birth

There is something otherworldly about the small piece of Nairobi that I have seen. Perhaps it is that all the scenes are like from a movie, the tall olive-green trees in a haze of dust, the transition from dirt to paved to dirt road, and the ubiquitous basket seller on the side of the road.

D's apartment is high up, looking out over the tops of the trees and I can hear the cars going by and the people speaking in a foreign language below us. It is a place of calm to drink tea and recover from 24 hours of travel.

We got in last night, very late after stopping through Brussels and Bujumbura. Emma was an angel and slept through most of the first flight and part of the second. She was definitely overtouched and tired by the end - as were we. We seem to not be too tired today as we all woke up this morning fairly fresh and Emma at least has napped. Now we are planning how to get out to Mpala and I almost wish we were staying here to watch the boughs of the huge Eucalyptus lean back and forth against the kitchen window.

There is something incredibly familiar about the smell here. It's acrid in the back of your throat but sweet in the nose.

The air is chilly, and Emma is unused to wearing this much clothing, each time we do her diaper she rails against putting trousers on, but man is she adorable in her little sweater. My brain is a little foggy and I feel like I could write a hundred little things about being here so will stop writing now, except to say that I adore parquet flooring.

No comments: