Monday, August 09, 2010

Headspace

The first leg of our journey is begun. The house was packed up and cleaned and all our worldly possesions are in a 10x10 storage unit. Minus 6 suitcases worth. Of course, as we were trying to fit everything into the truck, we were feeling very much like it would have been better to give most of it away. I realised how little attached I am to most of the things I put in boxes.

You never do know when nostalgia is going to poke it's thorny little head into your plans though. After a conversation with my sister I now wish I had packed my one remaining porcelain doll into a suitcase instead of a box.

This week of limbo is giving me time to adjust to the idea of where we are going and what our daily lives will really be like. Will I be able to walk outside in the nighttime and watch a heavy rain coming down, or will I then be sharing a porch with whatever large and potentially predatory creature decided to use it for cover? Will I be able to write this blog during the day or will I have to wait 'til the electricity comes back on in the evening? The hardest part for my personality is letting these thoughts flow out of my body and out into the world unanswered. I am counting the sleeps to when we walk in the door and see how we will live for the next year.

No comments: