Monday, August 30, 2010

Home is where the heart is

I was reminded that I had written about the house but it was lost, so most of you don't know the juicy details. It has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a great room. All the rooms are large and airy with cement floors and wood ceilings. The furniture is sparse but adequate and mostly solidly made of pine.

One of the bathooms is just a loo and you have to put your foot against the door to keep it closed. The other is a full bath with a shower. The water is heated by solar power and as it has been unseasonably rainy we only have hot water at lunchtime before the thunderclouds roll in, and then only enough for one person. K and I have been trading off lunchtime showers on every other day.

The water is either from a borehole or is rainwater. The rainwater we boil before we drink and the borehole water is filtered as it has a high TDS (total dissolved solids.)

We do have a fridge with a tiny freezer but have to prepare food mostly from canned or fresh as the power to the house goes out from 10am til 6pm and then again from 10pm til 6:30am. The stove is gas and works really well. Everything bakes much faster that in ovens I have had previously so you have to watch carefully. Also the oven only has hot or not so hot as temperatures...

We have already claimed the house as our own, hanging the Velvet Elvii and spreading the mexican blanket over the couch.

The best feature of the house is the verandah. It is wide and the full length of the front of the house. There are two comfy chairs or a table to sit at. The view is outstanding, looking over hills green with acacias and then the foothills of Mount Kenya in the background. On clear days you can see the Mountain herself. You can often see Giraffe and Zebra in the distance. I am looking forward to putting some railings around the verandah so that I can hang out there without chasing Emma off the edge into the grass.

No comments: